Not everyone goes to the dentist as much as they should. Some people may never have seen an orthodontist before. This means that there are plenty of people out there with dental health problems that are causing aches, pains, and even functional issues. In fact, minor misaligned jaw and teeth issues can lead to big ones later on if they’re not treated properly by a specialist orthodontist.
Here are some common dental health issues that can cause functional and other problems:
Grinding Your Teeth
This issue is actually very common. In fact, many people don’t even know they’re doing it either because it’s happening at night when they’re asleep, or because it has just become a habit during the day.
If left untreated, it can result in the following problems:
- Tooth wear that may even lead to cracked teeth and damaged to old fillings,
- Sensitive teeth that can be a real pain at social occasions,
- Jaw pain that can make it painful to talk and eat,
- A condition called Trismus, which is when opening the mouth can be painful and even restricted,
- Headaches due to the action of the grinding and the tenderness of the small muscles and connective tissues of the jaw.
An overbite is one of the most common jaw alignment problems. This is when there is an improper alignment of the teeth due to the lower jaw being less prominent. This causes the upper teeth to close down in front of the lower teeth.
It can certainly be rectified through the use of orthodontics, but those who don’t seek help can face the following problems:
- Biting the cheeks and the tongue due to the improper alignment of the teeth,
- Difficulty when chewing food and associated pain and discomfort,
- Trouble when speaking and the possible development of a lisp,
- Breathing through the mouth instead of the nose
Seek Professional Help
You may not think that what seems like a minor dental health issue can cause so many problems, but if you’re in pain or you have functional problems with your mouth, it’s time to book an appointment with Evolution Orthodontics.